Thursday, March 30, 2017

Pink Micros

Pink Micro #1, watercolor on paper, copyright Nina Leung, 2017
   Pink and black are my new color obsession. Somehow I've been seeing it or maybe just noticing it lately. It has to be a pale pink and the black must be rich and velvety. Here's a little watercolor painting secret..


Pink Micro #2, watercolor on handmade paper, copyright Nina Leung, 2017
  When I learned to watercolor in high school, my art teacher taught me to never use color straight from the tube, it must always be mixed, black especially. The black needs to be strong and it's best to mix it with another dark color. I chose green to help highlight the pink because they are complementary.

Pink Micro #3, watercolor on handmade paper, copyright Nina Leung, 2017
  It has taken me way too long to learn the importance of color and how to pair colors. I've always thought of the color as secondary to the line or the subject. I normally just choose any color when I'm ready to paint the line. There is power in a particular color combination and it is so fun to play with. Now that I've discovered this, I'm seeing different color combinations everywhere, especially now that it's spring. The trick is, how do I remember so many of them!

2 comments:

  1. Love these colors together! You have certainly excelled in the color matching. You're right! Spring certainly brings out the wonderful colors and combinations of them. Best time to seeing that expression of color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It's been fun experimenting with color. I'm really noticing those spring colors this year.

    ReplyDelete