Saturday, November 23, 2013

Interpretations of Uyghur Artist Abdukadir Dilmurat

Dark Gestures, ink and watercolor on watercolor paper, copyright Nina Leung, 2013
This is about as expressive as I get. It's so hard for me to be wild and gestural. I like it neat. While working on these pieces I was thinking of my experience there, in Xinjiang province, the people, the colors, old town Kashgar, and imagined the shapes and lines I saw. The painting above is not so literal, but the two below are.
Karakul, oil pastel and watercolor, copyright Nina Leung, 2013
Fig Cross Section, oil pastel and watercolor, copyright Nina Leung 2013
The two paintings above are my literal paintings. I took a view of Karakul Lake and simplified and stylized it. The fig painting is a remembrance of the amazing yellow figs we ate there. They had yellow skin and the meat was an orange/pink color, really beautiful, and really delicious.

Eamon's Uyghur Painting, copyright Nina Leung, 2013
Here's Eamon's try at doing a painting like Abdukadir Dilmurat. He received a lot of color and mixed them in his own way. One year olds can be quite expressive!

No comments:

Post a Comment