Friday, November 15, 2013

Children Recreating Henry Moore's Drawing, Reclining Figure


Believe it or not, I asked a 4 year old and an almost 2 year old to draw a still life. I set up an object, an old Brownie camera, and told them to draw it. I did a demonstrate on how to do it by making a drawing of my own. Eamon kept touching the camera, but after he got bored of it, he began drawing.




A couple tricks to doing this is giving them a fun, new medium to work with and then chunking the steps. I gave them each a piece of vine charcoal which they never used before. Then I told them (more directed to Gio) to draw particular parts. I pointed to the winding knob and told him to draw that, then the front of the camera, and then the square design with the flash at the top. You can see his interpretation of the winding knob just to the right. He captured the ridged texture pretty well!

They really enjoyed the charcoal and loved smearing it. It's surprisingly not as messy as I thought it would be and it washed off very easily. It was a short lesson, but they did seem to enjoy it. Now they know what a still life is!


No comments:

Post a Comment