Friday, March 8, 2013

Interpretations of Niki de Saint Phalle

Buried Forms, copyright Nina Leung, 2013
I concentrated on creating works that had a lot of white, contrast, and organic shapes. The basic elements of the work of  Niki de Saint Phalle are here as well as some additions from the inspirations I found this week.

Orchid Forms, copyright Nina Leung, 2013
Here are the orchids from the Natural Wonders post. I promised to try making a painting (this is pastel, actually) based on those beautiful spotted orchids. The petals are simplified and made into forms, but I kept the coloring and loose symmetry.

Glass Snake, copyright Nina Leung, 2013
This snake could be a copy of one of Niki de Saint Phalle's sketches for her perfume bottle. I really love that perfume bottle. Wouldn't this design make a beautiful stained glass window?

Hollow Form, copyright Nina Leung, 2013
I had to do something more sculptural. Niki de Saint Phalle did so many sculptures of Nana. This watercolor is a simple form that looks sculptural.

A Maze Lava, copyright Gio Leung, 2013
A work by the amazing Gio. My 3.5 year old son taped a piece of paper to a table, masked lines on it and colored in the empty spaces with oil pastels. This was after looking at some Niki de Saint Phalle works in the book Niki de Saint Phalle.

No comments:

Post a Comment