Friday, March 15, 2013

Interpretations of Chagall's Flowers

Petals, copyright Nina Leung, 2013
It was very fun being limited to Chagall's palette this week. I believe limitations like that make for a better creative experience. I often do this with my students or my son to force them to think only of what they're making and not worry so much about choice. Sometimes choices lead to confusion.

I've definitely simplified the elements of Chagall's Flowers. Some radiating forms, loose lines, and organic shapes. You'll notice I really only focused on the flower part of the painting and completely ignored the bird and the couple. I just didn't find those parts as interesting to explore. The expressionist forms are much more exciting to me.

Swirling, copyright Nina Leung, 2013
Waves, copyright Nina Leung, 2013
Blue Form, copyright Nina Leung, 2013

copyright Gio Leung, 2013
Another wonderful interpretation from Gio. He enjoys color very much, as you can see here. With kids his age it's hard to keep them from using every color in the paint box, particularly at the same time. I gave him two colors at a time which helped prevent him from making "mud". The masking helps create a little bit of form. I helped him with the masking, but everything else is his alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment