Friday, October 11, 2013

Interpretations of Vasarely's Vonal Period

Circle Rhythm, pip squeak markers on paper, copyright Nina Leung, 2013
The Proenza Schouler purse from the dressing post helped me with the work above. I love the changing colors and the circles. It was fun using the boy's crayola pip squeak markers. They come with a surprisingly good palette. The best part of it was the limited nature of markers. I had to stay within the palette given and could really only create one, flat texture. Restrictions can make art-making more challenging and fun.

Blue Anxiety, watercolor, copyright Nina Leung, 2013
As in the title, I took this from the movie High Anxiety that inspired the dressing post. Concentric circles have always been a favorite of mine. They're present here and above. My love for circles comes from my Grandmother who uses them often in her compositions. I think of her as the master of the circle. She uses them in ingenious ways and they always bring everything together so beautifully in her paintings.

Eamon's Pinwheel, pip squeak marker on paper with pencil and push pin, copyright Nina Leung, 2013
The boys made pinwheels for their Op Art project. Yes, it's pretty literal, but with preschool age projects, that's what I have to do! They chose the colors and did the drawing while I constructed the pinwheel. We made them on Wednesday and they're still playing with them! It was a hit!

Gio's Pinwheel, pip squeak marker on paper with pencil and push pin, copyright Nina Leung, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment