Friday, May 23, 2014

Abstract English Gardens


Clouded Foliage, watercolor, copyright Nina Leung, 2014
One of the most satisfying things to do in art-making is automatic drawing/painting. I did these paintings in the spirit of automatism, only I did have a subject in mind. I thought of messy English gardens before and during painting. This is how I like to paint and this is why I love to work with watercolor. Watercolor paints force speed and the flow of the water can sometimes be unexpected which makes it more fun. Before I started painting, I thought of the tradition of watercolor painting in England. The watercolor paint boxes created in the 19th Century made it possible for painters to go out and paint their landscapes outside. There's something quite romantic about that.

Geometric Country, watercolor, copyright Nina Leung, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment