Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Travelling in Diebenkorn's Cityscape I

If Richard Diebenkorn's Cityscape I were a place, of course it would be.......... 

San Francisco!



 He was so inspired by his hometown. He lived there for most of his life and it's easy to see the inspiration in his paintings. Simply compare the following photos to Cityscape I and look at the colors. They're all there!


I have a love/hate relationship with Sutro Tower. It's quintessential San Francisco and the shape is quite sculptural, but it's so large and obtrusive. It's as if it's staring down the whole of the Bay Area.


I love the yellow, striped crosswalks in this photo. This was taken on Portrero Hill.


The unmistakable Victorians. These are in Cole Valley.


I've always loved the electric bus wires that are strung tightly above many streets in San Francisco. They're like a complex, large-scale wire drawing going through the whole city. It's a big wire sculpture.


No comments:

Post a Comment