Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Interpretations of Electric Prisms

After Sonia Delaunay, copyright Nina Leung, 2013

Here is my own attempt at creating the same frenetic rhythm of Sonia Delaunay's Electric Prisms. Once I started, I didn't want to stop. It was so much fun making this and choosing colors. Thankfully, I have a nice selection of pastels, so the colors were almost unlimited. 

Sonia in Rio, copyright Nina Leung, 2013
In this watercolor, I thought of the mosaic sidewalks in Rio and I combined that with the energy of Electric Prisms. I like to think of Sonia being inspired by Rio and coming up with a sketch like this.

Muted Energy, copyright Nina Leung, 2013
Is it possible to recreate the energy of Electric Prisms using only graphite and terracotta pencil? I thought only of shape. How can a shape have an energetic rhythm without the use of color? This is what I came up with. I looked carefully at the shapes Sonia Delaunay used in her painting and mimicked those with the hope that it would feel energetic. I think it works, though it's a much more muted version.

No comments:

Post a Comment